21 July 2009

7 Questions With...Mary of Hail Mary!

Recently, I sat down with (well, on opposite ends of two computers, in different countries, but you get the picture) with charismatic and engaging Mary of Hail Mary. Mary was gracious enough to provide me, and in turn, you, with a little bit of her charm...

Your blog focuses on much more than just fashion, unlike a lot of blogs out there. Why do you think it's important to cover other aspects of your own life and the world around you?

It's silly and stupid and completely foolish to let fear run your life, but in reality I think sometimes it just can't be helped. A lot of really big things scare me. I'm terrified of being put in a box and labelled as some ditzy clothes obsessed air head, but also worried that this generation is being raised into a more apathetic mindset than I think it should be. But most horrific of all is the idea that there is the mass murder of entire culture (such as the genocide in Darfur) as well as hatred directed towards every day people for having a certain body type or being of a certain sexual orientation and people feel comfortable either completely turning a blind eye to it or dismissing it because some kind of band aid solution has been applied. My fears motivate me to push forward my ideas and activism in real life, and it was only a matter of time before it trickled on to the blog. What was originally an "escape into frivolousness" for me ended up being a platform not because that was my intention but more because this is who I am, and this is what I do, and maybe you'd like to do it too.

Many of the girls who comment your blog cite you as an inspiration and a role model. What does it mean to you to be a role model?

The first time someone used the term 'role model' in an email I almost choked on my cinnamon roll. Because that's what I was eating, a cinnamon roll, and not some crazy-healthy new superfruit berry discovered in Brazil and harvested organically by well paid women striving for world peace or whatever I then thought role models were supposed to eat. It was the same reaction I had when someone posted that they thought I was beautiful; I was flattered, but more in a "Ha, that's because you've only seen a glimpse of me" way. This inspired a bit of a "Fine, I'll just post whatever I think and whatever I look like" attitude where I was expected to get shut down but was incredibly [and] pleasantly surprised. People looked at mediocrely taken pictures of me doing interesting things and read stuff that was much more controversial then what I originally stuck to and actually supported me. Having girls see my insecurities and harsh views and awkwardness but still feeling like they can write such positive little notes about me means so much more than people who just saw a pretty picture and a "Save the World!" This is why being a role model to me is mainly about being true to who you are. Maybe I'll lose some followers along the way, but if I stick to my beliefs then I can feel like the people I inspire are actually inspired to do something I think is worthwhile.




Many of your outfits reflect a more classic, elegant style, instead of overly trendy pieces. What is your advice on creating a personal style?

I've always had a mild obsession [with] but somewhat failed at minimalism. I mean, I love the idea of being sleek and clean and organized but at the same time I know once I buy something it's hard for me to give it up again unless I know the next person I pass it on to will really enjoy it, and who wants an item three years after the fad is gone? (see: crazy glitter wedge foamy flipflops a la Spice Girls.) Once it enters my closet, it tends to stay there, although I am working on this, so it really came down to whether I wanted a closet full of stuff I could wear for a little while versus something that would actually be worth holding on to for the several years. Besides, I look like I'm 14 (I'm actually 4'9) so I try not to dress the part.

I think the best advice I can give sartorially is:

-Buy a lot of basic dresses in a bunch of solid colours. A lot of times when I'm on the run I know I'll have some kind of cotton dress that can be put with trench coats or cardigans and have necklaces and stuff thrown on top of it.

-Let what you love be reflected in what you wear. I collect tote bags from every art museum I've ever been to and my favourite necklace at the moment is a dangling gold pendant from India, a country I've been crazy about visiting for a while.

-Take the bus. I know this sounds crazy, but if your city has a decent transit system, being eco friendly is apparently the latest trend now (how chic of you!) and you're just exposed to such a variety of people all standing or sitting still for at least a minute or two. The best people watching is definitely on public transit, and you get to save the world at the same time!

Your blog, and you, are very real. How do you choose what kind of things to write about? How does your daily life influence the things you share with your readers?

I am a very passionate person, and it can be hard for me not to write about what's going on in my daily life. I seldom think "Oh, I should do a post about ____" but more of the post just comes out that way because it's something I can't get off my mind. I write about Darfur fairly consistently because I volunteer for STAND (Students Taking Action Now Darfur) quite a bit, and I just have to write about it because... how can I think of anything else? As I mentioned earlier, being a genuine person is very important to me and what I write about is like me being honest with myself as to what is on my mind.




Over the past year or so, your blog has been quite successful. What advice do you give to girls (or guys!) looking to start a blog of their own?

I really have no idea what I did to get to where I am, but I'm flattered! For a week, I kept a site tracker to see how many people visited, but I forgot about it. I'm not blogging for income or attention, so I see no reason to follow so many "rules" laid out by "experts." What I strive for in my blog is for everything to be organized quite efficiently. I'm generally too lazy to check for typos and such. Once again, this is a pastime, not a career for me, but I like knowing that the paragraphs are roughly where they should be and the overall aesthetic looks pretty clean. I also go off on tangents. A lot. I don't know whether this is good or bad but a lot of people seem to like it, so do what works?

You're very passionate about things like body image and the genocide in Darfur. How do you help to bring attention to issues and injustices in the world?

I think the most important thing I do for my causes is I practice what I preach. It's commendable to write up on important issues but if you really want to show you care you need the actions to back everything up. My first major event was a letter writing campaign and it took almost all of my time and yet at the end all I could think was "Oh, that was pretty easy." Since then, I've organized large walks and am in the middle of organizing a concert. It's complicated but simple, as long as you ask for help and know your goals, people will give you at least a little bit of it. Activism is the greatest way to cure boredom, and it actually accomplishes something, unlike sitting around. And even look at the word: the first letters are 'act.' Words are great, but living them is better. When it comes to body image, it's a little harder. I don't think writing protest letters to modeling agencies is really as effective because at the end of the day it doesn't make the girl with borderline bulimia love herself anymore. This is where words are everything, and the actions are much smaller. I seek to create a bit of a safehaven, where any body critiquing comments are deleted, problems are addressed and discussed, and real girls are embraced. I try to write relatably and be frank with what I'm feeling, because chances are someone else needs to hear that they're not the only ones who feel that way.



In a lot of your earlier posts, you speak of your grandparents as inspirations to you. What sort of lessons have you learned from them and how have they helped you in your life?

Talking to both my grandmothers now is very hard for me as they both suffer from types of dementia, although one is much more advanced than the other. But the truth is, they inspired me. The thing about parents is you're with them all the time, they make rules, they raise you, and I admire that so much but to inspire is a different thing. My grandparents on both sides took me to art galleries to foster a love of creativity and let me play in the wood shop to make my own boxes. My grandmother on my father's side was actually on the Arts Council of Canada at one point, and her name is displayed at a lot of art galleries and hot spots in this city. She truly did something, and now I regret that I can't communicate with her anymore because as a child I didn't really appreciate as much what she had to offer. Now I long for the days where I could have spoken to her about pop art and eastern culture and the gritty glamour of working in the arts. She met Christopher Plummer from the Sound of Music, she knew fashion designers, she did everything at some point... and all of these memories have been taken away by Alzheimer's. Some people live vicariously through their children, but I think sometimes I live vicariously for my grandmother, going to a university she poured effort into and always supporting the local art scene just so she knows she has indeed left a legacy.

Note: A few days after this interview, Mary sent me an email... 'I'm not sure if it's too late but I just had a genius conversation on the phone that answers your last question better than any of what I typed. I just got off the phone with my great aunt, whom I consider pretty much a grandparent, and I was explaining how I wasn't committing to any boy any time soon because my standards were too high. She's a very typical little old Polish lady and I was expecting her to "pftt" me and remind me how she was married by twenty but instead she said, "Sure, boys compliment your eyes but so does the right shade of blue. Good girl Mary, go buy yourself a dress." '

all photos courtesy of hailmary-fullofgrace.blogspot.com

1 comment: